Thursday, 13 December 2012

Stoat Pursues Rabbit at Marazion

I was just about to pack away my camera kit as it was a quiet day on the marsh; I then spotted a stoat, mindful of a reported stoat taking a rabbit a couple of months ago I decided to stay and watch events unfold! Well the stoat was running in between the rabbits in and out of burrows and to be honest the rabbits were not spooked at all by this little maniac.  Some would not even move out of the path of the stoat deliberately/  confidently standing their ground.

The stoat continued his little game for a few minutes annoying the rabbits then all off a sudden he sprang into action, I can only assume he sensed he had found the weakest rabbit in the group. The chase commenced and it looked like the stoat would easily be out paced; how wrong I was.  The stoat just seem to keep on running and eventually tire his prey out and then pounce. Once he had the rabbit it still took a while to finish him off. A few bites from the stoat and squeals from the rabbit and eventually all fell silent the rabbit losing it's fight for life.

The stoat his hunt complete then dragged the rabbit to the nearest rabbit hole to enjoy his lunch out of sight of other opportunistic predators like fox, Ravens and Buzzards.

I won't label the pictures tonight they speak for themselves I think.  Some may look slightly soft, however follow a rapidly moving twisting and turning chase I am quite pleased with what I got and witnessed.










11 comments:

Sam Stewart said...

Awesome stuff Bob, amazing sequence of images

Sam

holdingmoments said...

Incredible set Bob.
Not something we'd see very often.

holdingmoments said...

Great.

Christian said...

Good grief! That third one with the stoat flanking the rabbit is magnificent.

Anonymous said...

Extraordinary work Bob! Very rare to even see this, let alone have the skill to capture the hunt on camera to conclusion. Top class stuff. ;-)
Matt Sallis.

trurofans said...

Outstanding work.

Steve

Adrian Langdon said...

Super shots Bob, amazing that the moorhen just stayed there watching and not taking flight!
Adrian.

Adrian Langdon said...

Super sequence Bob. I'm amazed that the moorhen just stood there and watched and didn't take flight.
Adrian.

Jacky Poon said...

Great images/sequence bob, nice behaviour highlighted and they really speak for themselve!

Anthony Miners said...

Outstanding images Bob my favourite of the year.

Sam and Lisa said...

Outstanding photography, I am blown away.
Sam