Sunday 27 May 2012

New Combo, D4/D800/D400?????

Well decided lugging the 600mm everywhere wasn't a good idea.  So I opted for a 300mm VR and TC x2 111 to go on my D3s/D7000.  This weekend shots are from that set up and the 600mm also.  Whilst the 300mm and TC 2 111 is much lighter images are slightly softer and focus for flight shots isn't a rapid, but for occasions where carrying the 600mm over distance is not an option then the 300mm and TC 2 111 is the next best thing. Still thinking about getting a D4 or D800 or maybe even wait for the D400 which will hopefully appear sometime this year. So what is stopping me at present the D4 offers me a better focus system, slightly more FPS and a better video capability which I never use! So at present I feel the price far outweighs the gain for me. The D800 well I have a D7000 on nikons cropped sensor and 16.2 mp which probably isn't far off a crop from the D800 full frame, and it is only 4 fps (which I could probably live with), has the d4 focus system and a  36mp FF sensor. In our UK light I think that just means more noise! And add to that cost for the D800  a new computer or upgrade to handle the large files. Out of the two the D800 seems best value for money.  However I am still waiting for announcement of the D300s replacement.  I decide on my cameras not from lab tests but actual results gained in the field for me this means wildlife/action shots from the UK, not abroad where the light is always better. So if anyone knows of anyone currently shooting wild/action with either of these cameras in the UK could you please point me in their direction so I can have a look at their images. Ok enough waffle on some of mine from the weekend.

Rabbit, licking itself clean

Whitethroat

Chough

Swallow

3 comments:

JRandSue said...

Love the Chough,your Swallow is stunning.
Keep them coming.
John.

Unknown said...

Agree with John stunnning Chough shot and the light in that swallow image is fab.

S K Ditta said...

Bob, choice of camera and lenses makes a difference. More importantly you are out there and turning out some great shots. I suppose, others will be looking admiringly at your UK pictures.